Saturday, December 1, 2007

Brenton Wood

Brenton Wood
Brenton Wood's 18 Best
(June 5, 1992 - Original Sound)

This has got some sentimental value for me. And, perhaps for some of you. I fondly recall many nights in which Art Laboe would be spinning his "Oldies But Goodies" (the term he is credited for coining) while my family would be talking and laughing all night long.

Of all the great artists Laboe would play, none could match Brenton Wood. His two big hits came in '67 with "Gimme Little Sign" and "Oogum Boogum." His biggest musical influence growing up was none other than Sam Cooke. Not a bad choice, huh?

According to the Wikipedia:
Though Brenton Wood had few charted singles, his entire work is considered to be quintessential lowrider cruisin' oldies, and are featured on an uncountable amount of oldies compilations popular with a Latino, specifically Chicano, audience.
I guess it makes sense that I like him so much. I can see it now: cruising in the convertible I don't own, with my arm around that beautiful girl that I don't have. It only seems appropriate to have Brenton Wood as the soundtrack to my imaginary life.

Listen to "Great Big Bundle of Love" and I think Brenton Wood gets a little bi-lingual. Is it just me or does he say, "...tender love and mucho affection." Either way, you should re-visit this album. It's too bad he doesn't own the rights to his own songs! They belong to Art Laboe. Doesn't seem very fair.

Tracklisting:

1) Gimme Little Sign
2)
Oogum Boogum
3) Baby You Got It
4) I Think You've Got Your Fools Mixed Up
5) Great Big Bundle Of Love
6) I'm The One Who Knows
7) Lovey Dovey Kind Of Love
8) Can You Dig It
9) Whoop It On Me
10)
Take A Chance
11)
Catch You On The Rebound
12) Me And You
13) I Like The Way You Love Me
14) Darlin'
15) Where Were You
16) Two Time Loser
17) Sad Little Songs
18) Good Night Baby

Download Brenton Wood's 18 Best
Recommended Tracks: "I Think You Got Your Fools Mixed Up," "I'm The One Who Knows," "Me And You," "I Like The Way You Love Me"

No comments: