Sunday, January 6, 2008

Thursday @ GAMH

Entrance
Prayer of Death
(October 2006 - Tee Pee Records)

You know how sometimes you listen to a record for the very first time and you know instantly you're going to love it? This is one of those records. I listen to this album habitually and I never seem to tire of it.

Entrance is the musical moniker used by Baltimore native Guy Blakeslee. Being left handed, Guy has adapted by playing the guitar upside-down. Upside-down, hmmm? Anybody in particular come to mind? Indeed, Jimi's influence is readily felt in Entrance's music. Guy claims to be a huge fan of musicians such as Sandy Bull, Jimi, Can, and the enigma that is Yahowa 13. The dude even hooked up with Cat Power. I don't know how I can still like the guy, but I do.

For those of you still keeping track of musical genres, this might fall under the psychedelic rock category, though that's pigeonholing it for sure. It definitely has a blues feel to it, as well as a strong Middle Eastern vibe (track three features the sitar).

Entrance will be performing this Thursday at the Great American Music Hall. Despite how great this album is, it doesn't do their live show justice. They are one of the best live acts around. It's strange that they haven't received the proper accolades that they most definitely deserve.

Tracklisting:

1) Grim Reaper Blues
2) Silence of a Crowded Train
3) Requiem for Sandy Bull (R.I.P)
4) Valium Blues
5) Pretty Baby
6) Prayer of Death
7) Lost in the Dark
8) Never Be Afraid!

Co-headlining is Mariee Sioux who released a wonderful album entitled Faces In The Rocks in '07. One of my favorites of the year. I hope to get around to posting about her before Thursday. She's worth the price of admission alone. It's going to be amazing people! Be there!

Download Prayer of Death
Recommended Tracks: All of Them. Seriously!

1 comment:

Marie Drennan said...

That's funny, I just overheard a bunch of people in my neighborhood book store talking about going to the show Thurs. The way they were talking about it made me want to check it out, and I asked them the name of the band, but they said it so fast I didn't understand! Now I know. : )