Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Juno

Juno - OST
(January 8th, 2008 - Rhino Records)

I saw this movie with my moms during my recent visit and we both walked out with a smile on our faces. It was such a charming movie due in large part to Ellen Page's performance. You really have to try not to like her. The writing was excellent; very witty.
At first I wasn't sure I was going to like the movie because the dialogue was a little too over-the-top for my liking. Using cheesy-ass slang to get by. But as the movie went on they eased up on it.

Music plays a big part in Juno's life, thus the soundtrack is embraced often in the movie. It is an excellent collection of songs that seem to be a good fit for the theme of the movie. It also introduced me to a singer named Kimya Dawson who was in a band called the Moldy Peaches (who are also on the album). The musical aspect of her craft isn't what grabs you, quickly strummed acoustic guitar chords, rather it's her engaging lyrics. Here are two I liked:

If I'm a spinster for the rest of my life
my yarns will keep me warm
on cold and lonely nights

When I saw Genevieve I really liked it when she said
what she said about the giant and the lemmings on the cliff
she said 'I like giants, especially girl giants
'cause all girls feel too big sometimes, regardless of their size'

Those lyrics came from the songs, "Tire Swing" and "I Like Giants", respectively. She's also socially conscious and expresses her points of view in songs like "Loose Lips" and "12/26" - a song about the 2004 tsunamis.
My favorite track on the album is Sonic Youth's cover of the Carpenters song, "Superstar." It's beautiful and brooding at the same time. Just the way I like it.

Tracklisting:

1) All I Want Is You - Barry Louis Polisar
2) Rollercoaster - Kimya Dawson
3) A Well Respected Man - The Kinks
4) Dearest - Buddy Holly
5) Up The Spout - Mateo Messina
6) Tire Swing - Kimya Dawson
7) Piazza, New York Catcher - Belle And Sebastian
8) Loose Lips - Kimya Dawson
9) Superstar - Sonic Youth
10) Sleep - Kimya Dawson
11) Expectations - Belle And Sebastian
12) All The Young Dudes - Mott The Hoople
13) So Nice So Smart -Kimya Dawson
14) Sea Of Love - Cat Power
15) Tree Hugger - Kimya Dawson And Antsy Pants
16) I'm Sticking With You - Velvet Underground
17) Anyone Else But You - The Moldy Peaches
18) Vampire - Antsy Pants
19) Anyone Else But You - Ellen Page And Michael Cera

Download Juno - OST
Recommended Tracks: "All I Want Is You," "Superstar," "All the Young Dudes," "Sea of Love," "I'm Sticking With You," "Anyone Else But You."

4 comments:

Marie Drennan said...

Hey Kilgore! Glad to see you're posting in 2008! Thanks for the movie recommendation -- I'll have to check Juno out. Hope you're feeling better after your bout with the plague (and Bobb Trimble, whom I remember from back in the day, which is kind of scary...)

Galactic Sounds said...

It's nice to know somebody is reading these posts. I'm feeling much better, thank you. I wish I could dig through your old records, I'm sure I'd find lots of good stuff. See ya around.

Nob Hill Forreal said...

Although it kinda feels a little Garden State Soundtrack v2.0-ish, I dig this album. Thanks for the rec. I actually just heard it playing at Sparky's. Excellent hangover music. I dig your blog dude.

Galactic Sounds said...

Totally sounds like v2.0
And what's up with Tres Agaves? That blows. At least someone is spreading the word.