Sunday, July 13, 2008

Dragging A Dead Deer Up A Hill

Grouper
Dragging A Dead Deer Up A Hill
(June 10, 2008 - Type Records)

Tonight, I've been working on capturing some of the footage I shot in Guatemala. It has taken me a lot longer than I had anticipated--maybe because I have gotten a little too meticulous about the process. In any case, I've been listening to the new Grouper album while doing so and it is quickly becoming one of my favorite albums of 2008.

Portland's Liz Harris is the talented musician behind Grouper, and Dragging A Dead Deer Up A Hill marks her 4th proper release, and in my humble opinion her best to date. Once you get past the disturbing cover art and title, you'll find the psych-folk aesthetic to be as good as it gets. Haunting, yet soothing, vocals under the stripped down guitar and looped recordings will quickly move you into a deep and relaxed state. Great for late night, rainy, dreamy, just before bed, isolated and quiet, reading, or contemplating sort of music. Long bus rides would also be good. Heck, it's damn good listening anytime.

Tracklisting:

1. Disengaged
2. Heavy Water/I'd Rather Be Sleeping
3. Stuck
4. When We Fall
5. Traveling Through A Sea
6. Fishing Bird (Empty Gutted In The Evening Breeze)
7. Invisible
8. I’m Dragging A Dead Deer Up A Hill
9. A Cover Over
10. Wind And Snow
11. Tidal Wave
12. We’ve All Gone To Sleep

Download Dragging a Dead Deer Up A Hill

MP3: Grouper - “Heavy Water/I'd Rather Be Sleeping”


This is a beautiful video from an EP that Grouper did with Xiu Xiu in 2006. The name of the song is called "In Dreams." Absorb!

No comments: